Paediatrics (GP information)
The L&D provides a full range of inpatient and outpatient Acute Paediatric services to the local population.
Paediatric Out- Patient Services
Children are seen in the dedicated Children’s Out-patients run by a team of Children’s Nurses, Nursery Nurses and Play Therapists. There are dedicated Phlebotomy clinics, Sweat tests and the nursing team provide Epi-pen training for parents and spirometry.
Paediatric In-patient services
The Paediatric Unit has 54 beds including a 5 Bed Paediatric Admissions Unit (PAU) and facilities for High Dependency Care for children. Unit accepts referral for children up to 16 years of age or completion of academic year 11.
All children admitted to the Trust are looked after on the Paediatric Unit.
The beds are divided into three wards, all located on the 4th floor of the Surgical Block:
- Squirrel Ward (17 beds) for children under two.
- Rabbit Ward (17 beds) for medical and longer stay surgical patients including isolation facilities for paediatric oncology patients, and a small adolescent unit.
- Hedgehog Ward (15 Beds) a “5 day a week” Paediatric Surgical Unit and Day-Case.
When necessary Hedgehog opens overnight to take acute Paediatric admissions.
Referrals are accepted via E-RS only.
General Paediatric referrals will be triaged by the consultant team and allocated to the most appropriate consultant. Where the community services are more suitable, we will inform the referrer and signpost to the most appropriate service.
We provide both general and specialist paediatric new patient and follow-up clinics including:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Gastroenterology & food allergy
- General Paediatrics
- Infectious Diseases
- Metabolic Diseases
- Neonatal follow-up
- Neurodevelopmental follow-up of low birth weight
- Paediatric General Surgery
- Paediatric Plastic Surgery
- Paediatric Physiotherapy
The L&D Consultant teams work in partnership with a variety of Tertiary Centres, referring on for further investigations and advice where necessary. The L&D team are able to provide subspecialty treatment and care management for the majority of paediatric conditions locally. We are also able to provide outreach clinics for some specialities with visiting Tertiary Consultants.
Paediatric Cardiology – Dr Sivakumar and Dr Somisetty
Paediatrics Endocrinology and Diabetes – Dr Nathwani, Dr Misquith and Dr Niranjan
Paediatric Epilepsy and Neurology – Dr Tekki-Rao, Dr Gandhi & Dr Joshi
Paediatric Gastroenterology & food allergy – Dr. Ashworth, Dr Modi, Dr Ramkumar
Paediatric Allergy– Dr Adler & Dr Ingram (respiratory), Dr Rajkowski (anaphylaxis and general), Dr Ashworth & Dr Modi (gut) Dr. DeSilva (dermatology)
Paediatric Oncology – Dr Toyin Lythe, Dr Nair,
Paediatrics– Haematology- Dr Toyin Lythe, Dr Nair
Paediatric Infectious Diseases– Dr. Eisenhut
Paediatric Metabolic Diseases- Dr. Eisenhut
Paediatrics Respiratory & Cystic Fibrosis – Dr. Adler & Dr Ingram
Paediatrics Renal Diseases – Dr Tomasz Rajkowski
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses
Paediatrics (Children's Services)
via switchboard ext. 2340
- Paediatric General Surgery (GP information)
- Paediatrics (GP information)
- Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation Service (GP information)
- Phlebotomy and Anticoagulation Services (GP information)
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Musculoskeletal Services (GP information)
- Plastic Surgery (GP information)
- Private Patients - The Cobham Clinic (GP information)
- Pulmonary Services (GP information)