Inflammatory Bowel Disease Service
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) consists of two main conditions – Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease.
These are chronic diseases of the intestinal tract, experienced by as many as 4 million people worldwide.
Bedford Hospital has 2 IBD Clinical Nurse Specialists – Sister Mary Hill and Sister Claire Shotbolt who work alongside the gastroenterology consultants.
We participate in specific IBD research projects and you may be approached to participate.
- Telephone advice line 01234 355122, ext 6204 – this is a 24 hour voicemail system, please leave your name, hospital number or date of birth and a contact number so that the nurses can call you back. Or you can email the IBD nurses’ advice line: email@example.com
- We have access to the National IBD Registry which is a national project to collect information about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Outpatient and telephone follow up clinics
- New patient counselling
- Paediatric Transition Clinic held jointly with paediatric consultants and nurses for 14-19 year olds
- Arranging for patients to commence on biologic therapy following complete screening and counselling, arranging prescriptions, infusions and home care services
Gastroenterology is the medical specialty dealing with diseases of the digestive system.
Our specialist Consultants diagnose and treat diseases and disorders of the stomach, duodenum and small and large bowel (colon). The team also includes two Consultant Hepatologists, who specialise in diseases of the liver.
The L&D Gastroenterology team work closely with colleagues in General Surgery in order to provide seamless care for patients with gastrointestinal cancer and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). We also have close links with Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge for patients requiring tertiary care for liver disease.
The Gastroenterology team work closely with the Nutrition and Dietetics department.
You may be interested in viewing our other Gastroenterology pages:
- Hepatology and liver disease
- Barrett’s Oesophagus
- Coeliac disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Patient information and useful links
If you are due to have a video consultation, please read the relevant information.
Our Gastroenterology Consultants
Gastroenterology at the L&D is one of our busiest departments and we have a team of highly-experienced Consultants to ensure that you receive the best possible treatment.