Neurology is the branch of medicine concerned with diseases of the brain, nerves and muscles. The common, serious conditions treated by the neurology department are stroke, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease but neurology is characterised by a particularly wide range of less common conditions.
If you have an appointment at one of the neurology clinics, you will be seen by a consultant who will take your history and may examine your nervous system, which will involve looking at your eyes and other things around the head, your arms and your legs.
Many patients who are seen in the neurology clinic have symptoms which are not due to any serious cause and can be reassured with a single attendance. For others, further investigation may be required, these may include: blood tests, which usually take place on the same day and various scans, which will usually take place in the following weeks. Sometimes specialised electrical tests are needed, which are undertaken in Cambridge at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Follow-up can then be arranged as required.
The department runs the following clinics:
- The General Neurology clinic is on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- The Multidisciplinary Motor Neurone Disease clinic is on alternate months
- The Botulinum toxin clinic for the treatment of dystonia and spasticity takes place monthly
All clinics will take place in the outpatients department, near A&E at Bedford Hospital South Wing.
To make, change or cancel your appointment, please telephone the number on your appointment letter, alternately, please phone the hospital switchboard on
01234 355 122.
The Neurology Department at the L&D provides a comprehensive General Neurological Service to the local population and surrounding areas. The Clinical staff comprise part-time consultants who also work at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, and three Specialist Nurse Practitioners; in Multiple Sclerosis.
The Department participates in research projects in Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. In addition to the General Neurology Clinics we have the following specialist clinics.
- Botulinum Treatment (Dr Gale, Consultant; Ruth Shaw; Specialist Nurse, Rhyan Smith, Lesley Bates, Paul Watts)
- Multiple Sclerosis, (Dr Gale; Consultant, Mr Huseyin; MS Advanced Nurse Practitioner and MS Specialist Nurse)
- Parkinson’s Disease (Dr Schrag; Consultant ; Ruth Shaw; PD Specialist Nurse)
- Pregnancy and Epilepsy (Dr Parsons, Consultant)
Neurology Department Staff:
Clinical Operational Lead
Mr Huseyin Huseyin
Mr Huseyin Huseyin – MS Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Lesley Bates – MS Specialist Support Nurse
Rhyan Smith – MS Specialist Nurse