Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)
The main aim of an Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) programme is to get you back to your full health as soon as possible and aims to reduce complications by promoting pre-operative patient education, post op goal setting and strict and safe discharge criteria that you must meet before going home.
“The mission of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) programme is to develop perioperative care and to improve recovery through research, education, audit and implementation of evidence-based practice”
We aim to provide pre-operative education and guidance through information booklets, videos and face-to-face clinic appointments on how to improve fitness and general health prior to surgery and to also help guide you on how to better prepare both physically and practically for your upcoming surgery, “Major surgery is like running a marathon, both require preparation”.
Goal setting – we set you goals to achieve daily after surgery in order to aid your recovery, for example:
- Getting out of bed day of surgery – aiming to walk a short distance and building up the distance with every walk you do
- Adequate nutrition to help aid recovery
- Good pain management – this allows you to do all the things necessary to help recovery
The current programme is used for patients coming into hospital for elective surgical procedures:
- Colorectal – Bowel and rectal resections
- Bariatric – Gastric bypass and gastric sleeve
- Orthopaedics – Primary hip and knee replacement
- Urology – Nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy
- Head and Neck – the nurses you see in clinic before surgery will let you know if you will be on the programme
Please click the following links to find out more information on:
ERAS Team contact number: 01582 718169 (07:00 – 16:00). There is a voicemail should you need to leave a message. We aim to pick messages up daily or every other day, so please allow at least 24 hours for a reply.
Irene Fitt, Irene.firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosie McGrandles email@example.com (main contact for Colorectal, Urology and Bariatrics)
Aimee Ford firstname.lastname@example.org (main contact for Orthopaedics)
Hima Nair Hima.Nair2@ldh.nhs.uk
Reema Dsouza Reema.Dsouza@ldh.nhs.uk