Blood Tests (Phlebotomy)
Adult Outpatients Blood Tests
All Adult Outpatients Blood Tests at Caudwell Centre (South Wing) have been moved to Gilbert Hitchcock House (North Wing).
Please call to make an appointment on 01234 607075 or online atwww.bedford.sangix.co.uk.
A new appointment system has been introduced and will be available for patients to pre-book appointments. This appointment system has been implemented to ensure a reduction in the waiting and queuing time for blood tests and to ensure everyone is seen safely and social distancing measures are observed to protect both our staff and our patients.
Patients are now able to book appointments by:
- Using the online booking service (available 24/7). Patients will need to register online: www.bedford.sangix.co.uk
- The automated telephone booking service (available 24/7). The telephone number is: 01234 607075
- Booking an appointment in person by visiting the department.
The Trust will maintain a limited walk-in service. Patients will be given an appointment, if available, at the next appointment time for that day, or offered an appointment for another day.
Children’s Blood Tests
Children under sixteen need to attend the children and teenager’s outpatient unit in Cygnet Wing, at Bedford Hospital (South Wing). All children’s blood tests are by appointment only.
From Monday 18 October 2021, additional appointment systems have been introduced. There will be a number of ways to book an appointment including:
- Using the online booking service (available 24/7). Patients will need to register online using the child’s details: www.bedfordpaediatrics.sangix.co.uk
- The automated telephone booking service using the child’s details (available 24/7). The telephone number is: 01234 868006
When booking the appointment, please register with your child’s details.
You can speak to our Paediatric team Monday to Friday during limited opening hours (9am – 12pm and 2pm – 4pm) on 01234 730421, if your child has additional needs, or those with special requests such as fasting, genetics and hormone tests. Also, please call this number if you are unable to book an urgent appointment within a week’s time. Please endeavour to call this number only for the criteria listed as the line can get very busy. If possible, appointments should be booked online or via the automated booking system.
Please read the following information carefully about your child’s blood test:
- A blood test form is required on each visit.
- Please arrive on time.
- Check the personal ID on the form is correct before arriving for the test.
- Please ensure your child is well hydrated.
- If you would like your child to have skin numbing cream prior to the blood test, please follow these guidelines: the cream should be put on one hour before the appointment, in the crease of each elbow and on the back of each hand. Wrap in cling film. Put a blob of the cream on the skin – do not rub it in. Cream can be purchased over the pharmacy counter, or if the blood test is requested by your GP, they will be able to write a prescription for you.
- Results for standard tests usually take 1 to 5 working days.
- Children need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Arriving late: patients arriving more than 10 minutes after their booked appointment will have to rebook.
- Fasting blood tests: please have nothing to to eat or drink except glasses of water 12 hours before the time of your appointment.
- Bruising may sometimes occur post-procedure.
If you have been asked to have a glucose tolerance test (GTT) this is by appointment only. Please ring 01234 792160 to make an appointment.
If you have been told or it is marked on your blood test card that your blood test requires you to fast, then you must not eat or drink anything apart from water for a minimum of 10 hours, otherwise your blood test cannot be undertaken.
If you are unsure about your blood test, please call ahead and check with the receptionist who will advise you accordingly on telephone number: 01234 792160.
Normal opening hours:
Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm. Please be aware that this clinic is closed on Bank Holidays.
If you have a urine sample, please take this to the Pathology Department at South Wing or you can alternatively drop this into the reception at Gilbert Hitchcock House. The urine sample needs to be labelled fully with name, date of birth, NHS or hospital number and the time and date of the sample. If you have a stool sample, please take this to the Pathology Department at South Wing.
Appointments for glucose tolerance tests
Please click here to download information on appointments for glucose tolerance tests.Bedford Pathology User Guide