Neonatology (GP information)
The Neonatology Department provides inpatient and follow-up care for sick and premature (preterm) babies.
The Neonatal Unit at the L&D is one of the leading Neonatology Departments in the country and is one of only three Level 3 units in the East of England, providing specialist intensive care for the most premature and sick newborn babies. 1 in 7 babies born will need admission and support from the Neonatology Department after delivery.
We have three separate nurseries in the L&D Neonatology Department with 37 cots in total. 11 cots are in the Neonatal Intensive Care nursery, 8 cots are in the High Dependency nursery and 18 cots are in the special care nursery.
When a baby is admitted to the Neonatal Unit they will be allocated a ‘named consultant’ for the length of their stay and each day they will be allocated a named nurse to oversee their care.
- Drs Belani, Carmichael, Gowda, Nallagonda, Selkirk and Vakharia accept GP new patient referrals (<6 months for general paediatric issues) – clinics RC1, RC3, RC5, RC7, RI0, RI2.
- Dr Sivakumar accepts new GP referrals for paediatric cardiology concerns – clinic HT1, Dr Somisetty accepts referrals for children up to 12 years for investigation of murmurs or family history of congenital cardiac problems – clinic SEC1.
- Dr Ali accepts GP/ HV/ Midwife referrals for prolonged neonatal jaundice to the PPJC clinic to be booked through Paediatric unit (PAU).
- All other clinics are for follow-up subsequent to inpatient neonatal unit stay or for issues detected on the postnatal ward and only accept GP referrals if the patient has transferred into area and needs neonatal follow-up subsequent to inpatient neonatal care in another hospital.
Procedures undertaken in our Unit include the following:
Neonatal and paediatric echocardiography.
- Neurodevelopmental follow-up (BA2)
- Neonatal follow-up clinics (AR1, 091, SCB, BA3, YTU, 531, SOMS, RC2, RC4, RC6, RC8, RI1, RI3)
- Neonatal/paediatric echo clinic – follow-up (HT2, SEC2) and new (SEC1, HT1)
- New patient baby clinic – under 6 months (RC1, RC3, RC5, RC7, RI0, RI2)
- Prolonged Jaundice clinic (PPJC)
- Visiting Paediatric Cardiology clinic – Dr Andrews.
Clinic days/times: Monday AM, Tuesday AM/PM, Wednesday AM/PM, Thursday AM/PM, Friday AM
Links to tertiary centres:
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
- The Edwin Lobo Centre
- Kennedy Galton Centre
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses
Neonatology (Maternity Services)