The Nutrition Nursing Team are experts in Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition feeding (Artificial Nutrition) and support patients, carers/families and community staff in caring for the feeding tubes and tube site.
For patients not known to either Dr Gao or the Nutrition Nursing Team please refer as detailed below.
Referrals are accepted via E-RS only.
- Full Assessment of patients referred for new feeding tubes: PEG, Jejunostomy and Parenteral Nutrition, Nasal Bridles
- Monitor In-patients receiving Parenteral Nutrition, Gastrostomy, Jejunostomy and naso-enteric feeding
- Gastrostomy replacement and removal services
- Train patients, families and carers in caring for feeding tubes and tube sites
- Provide tube components for older tubes
- Assess and troubleshoot in tubes and tube sites problems
- Telephone reviews of patients
- Balloon Gastrostomy changes and training patients and carers
- Balloon Gastrostomy tube removals
- Can advise regarding Medicines via enteral feeding tubes
- Work closely with Community Dietitians, Speech and Language Therapist, Learning Disabilities Nurse Specialists and Transition team
- Feeding At Risk Pathway of care not suitable for enteral feeding tubes
- Ethical considerations regarding tube feeding and Feeding at Risk
- Feeding Issue MDT
- Link between Enteral Feeding Companies
Open Access Clinic for Home Tube Fed Patients having tubes placed at the Luton & Dunstable University Hospital or known to Dr Rui Gao – Consultant Gastroenterologist
Clinic name: – Nutrition Nurse only clinic
Clinic Type: Adults & Transition patients (17+ years)
Clinic days/times: Monday to Friday 08.00-12.00 and 13.00-16.00
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses