Bariatrics and Obesity (GP information)
The Luton and Dunstable University Hospital has a specialist centre for Obesity Treatment and Research.
Our multidisciplinary team provides weight management (medical) and bariatric (surgical) programmes throughout the East of England and is one of the most comprehensive bariatric services in the country.
The medical programme was established in 1992 as a regional weight loss service for patients. The bariatric surgical programme began in 2001 and offers people a range of surgical procedures.
As well as our weight loss programmes our team is one of the country’s leaders in innovative research and treatment. Our research team provides surgical data to the national bariatric database and we are regularly involved in pioneering medical trials that contribute to the continuous improvement of safety, care and treatment for bariatric patients. If you have tried other ways to lose weight but have not been successful, a referral to our weight loss experts may be the solution for you. Our specialist programme is designed not only to help people lose significant weight but to give them the life skills and knowledge to keep the weight off.
GP referrals by post should be made directly to Obesity Services:
Luton & Dunstable University Hospital,
Lewsey Road, Luton
Procedures undertaken in our Unit include the following:
- Tier 3 medical weight management programme
- Tier 4 Surgical weight management
- After care post-surgery
- Follow up with Nurse or Dietitian and/or Surgeon – 6 weeks
- Follow up with Nurse or Dietitian (including blood tests) – 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 24 months in Tier 4
- At 2 years post bariatric surgery – patient should be referred back to local tier 3 for annual review
Tier 3 medical weight management clinics – Including Specialist Nurses, Dietitians, Physicians, Psychologist (Assessment Only)
Tier 4 surgical weight management clinics – including Specialist Bariatric Nurses, Bariatric Dietitians, Physicians, Psychologist (Assessment only), Surgeons, Anaesthetists
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses
Bariatrics and Obesity
- Paediatric General Surgery (GP information)
- Paediatrics (GP information)
- Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation Service (GP information)
- Phlebotomy and Anticoagulation Services (GP information)
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Musculoskeletal Services (GP information)
- Plastic Surgery (GP information)
- Private Patients - The Cobham Clinic (GP information)
- Pulmonary Services (GP information)