The L&D’s Endoscopy department is renowned for its efficiency and patient care. We carry out a number of procedures in our unit – Gastroscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, Colonoscopy and ERCP.
Patients are usually initially referred to one of the consultants for an outpatient appointment. However, we also operate an open access service for gastroscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy so GPs can refer purely for one of these tests. If it is obvious from a GP’s letter that a patient needs an endoscopy test, we may arrange to do this first, before they are seen in the outpatient department.
Referrals can be made via ICE, Choose and Book or a written letter.
- Gastroscopy – for investigating the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy – to look at the left side of the large bowel (colon).
- Colonoscopy – for investing the entire large bowel (colon).
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) – to view the bile ducts in the liver, the gallbladder and the pancreatic ducts
- Oesophageal dilatation.
- Insertion of an oesophageal stent.
- Insertion of Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastronomy (PEG).
- Bronchoscopies (respiratory physicians).
Endoscopy lists run daily, including weekend backfill.
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses