Breast Screening (GP information)
Beds & Herts Breast Screening Service is one of the biggest breast screening services in England. As well as having a screening centre adjacent to the Luton & Dunstable University Hospital there are also four mobile imaging units which are moved around the counties on a three year cycle in order to provide breast imaging in a local location to the women called for screening.
The screening centre is also used as the location for all breast symptomatic assessment clinics. The breast imaging and interpretation for surgeons is provided by the screening service.
Links to surgical centres:
The screening service is provided across two counties. Women who are then referred for surgery can select the nearest breast surgery service to where they live. As a result women are referred across a network of hospitals including; East & North Herts Hospital, Bedford Hospital and West Herts Hospitals. A smaller number are referred to surgical services outside Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire as a result of patient choice or locality.
Breast screening – Eligible women are invited by the Beds & Herts Breast Screening Service as part of the National Breast Screening Programme.
Women at higher risk of developing breast cancer are referred by a regional genetics service. This service is also commissioned to screen women with moderately increased risk of breast cancer who are referred by the regional genetics service and general practitioners.
Procedures undertaken in our Unit include the following:
- Triple Assessment – Physical assessment, Breast imaging and Biopsy.
- Breast Imaging – This can be a mammogram, ultrasound or sometimes both.
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses
- Paediatric General Surgery (GP information)
- Paediatrics (GP information)
- Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation Service (GP information)
- Phlebotomy and Anticoagulation Services (GP information)
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Musculoskeletal Services (GP information)
- Plastic Surgery (GP information)
- Private Patients - The Cobham Clinic (GP information)
- Pulmonary Services (GP information)