Paediatric General Surgery (GP information)
Elective General Surgery of Childhood
We provide a well-established consultant-led general paediatric surgical service operating in close collaboration with the paediatricians, anaesthetists with paediatric interest, nurse specialists etc. and have close links with tertiary units at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge and Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.
We see children referred with groin or abdominal wall hernia, undescended testis, foreskin problems, lumps and bumps as well those needing insertion (or change) of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tubes etc. for children and young people from birth to 16 years.
Children are booked onto a surgical list by the consultant surgeon and then scheduled for a pre-assessment clinic appointment prior to their scheduled surgery which is performed under general anaesthesia with majority of children going home the same day.
The hospital paediatric department provides a comprehensive paediatric service. Children and young people can access our service through their GP, health visitor, midwife or accident and emergency.
Preferred GP referral process:
- Inguinal Herniotomy for Hernia & Congenital Hydrocoele
- Umbilical/ Supra-umbilical/ Epigastric Hernia Repair
- Excision of soft tissue lumps/ Cysts
- Treatment for Ingrowing Toe Nails
- Insertion of New PEG tube/ Change of PEG tubes
Clinic Type: General Paediatric Surgery
Clinic Days/Times: Wednesday 13.30-17.00
Links to tertiary centres: Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge & Great Ormond Street Hospital, London
Patient Information Leaflets
Clinicians - Consultants/Specialist Nurses
- Paediatric General Surgery (GP information)
- Paediatrics (GP information)
- Pharmacy and Medicines Optimisation Service (GP information)
- Phlebotomy and Anticoagulation Services (GP information)
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Musculoskeletal Services (GP information)
- Plastic Surgery (GP information)
- Private Patients - The Cobham Clinic (GP information)
- Pulmonary Services (GP information)