Choosing to have your baby at the L&D
We are proud of our maternity services and the Luton and Dunstable University Hospital Maternity team strives to deliver the highest standards of care to all women and their families. Women’s choice is at the top of our agenda and we support mothers deliver their babies in a range of ways.
We care for more than 5,000 mothers and babies each year and provide all aspects of obstetric and midwifery care, from before birth (antenatal) to birth and after delivery (postnatal).
Our expert team of midwives and doctors work hard to give you the care and support you need, to have for a safe and satisfying birth. Every woman has her own ideas about how she would like her baby to be born – whether at home or in hospital – we do our best to help you achieve this.
For more information about the range of services we offer please see our (Maternity Video), which takes you on a virtual-tour of our maternity unit.
There are many reasons to have your baby at Luton and Dunstable University Hospital including:
- Our delivery suite is staffed by medical and midwifery teams at all times.
Delivery suite’s offer consultant led labour care and we now also have a pool room for women who are unable to use the birth centre.
- Our MBLU (Midwife Led Birthing Unit) includes one birthing pool and home-from-home amenities.
- A midwife emergency telephone helpline linked to our Triage (Ward 31) – a midwife is available 24 hours a day to answer any questions.
- A community midwifery service that provides antenatal, home birth and postnatal care for women within the local region.
- A highly specialist neonatal intensive care service providing care for sick and extremely premature babies. Our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is the only Level 3 in our region. (Level 3 units provide specialist care for the sickest and most premature babies).
- Breast feeding care rounds have been introduced on the post-natal ward to allow women to receive breastfeeding support.
- A specialist Fetal Medicine Unit (FMU) that provides innovative systems of care for women in multiple births and complex fetal abnormalities.
- Luton and Dunstable University Hospital has received Stage 2 accreditation in UNICEF’S prestigious Baby Friendly Award, recognising our work to ensure mothers and babies receive high quality support to enable breastfeeding.
- A comprehensive postnatal (after-birth) service for women who require additional care.
- Birth Options to support you with your choices and help you in planning your birth.
- A designated Birth Reflections Clinic to offer support after your birth and to answer any ‘missing pieces’.
Luton and Dunstable University Hospital gained a ‘Good’ rating from the CQC. The CQC’s report highlights examples of innovation and best practice across the L&D, particularly within our maternity services. Our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) also gained an ‘Outstanding’ rating from the CQC.
Are you pregnant and wanting to have your baby at the L&D?
You do not have to wait to see your GP before contacting us, you can simply complete our antental self-referral form. Alternatively, you can contact our midwives as soon as you know you are pregnant by phoning 01582 497020 Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. If you prefer, you can still go to your GP.