Maternity Services – Luton and Dunstable University Hospital
Main hospital number 01582 491166 (ask for Maternity)
- If you are currently pregnant and receiving care at the L&D please contact us on 01582 329574.
- If you have just given birth at the L&D or had a home birth with us, please contact the Community Midwife on the number provided on discharge, or the Postnatal ward (Ward 33) on 01582 497558.
- If you think you may be in labour please contact our team so that they can prepare for your arrival. If you wish to have a water birth or use one of our birth pools for labour, let the team know when you call so they can check availability, 01582 329574.
Our Maternity Department is committed to:
Putting safety first: We are committed to reducing avoidable harm.
Continual learning: We work towards making our organisation more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and staff by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe our services are.
Being honest: We are transparent with people about our progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be honest with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
Collaborating: We take a lead role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local maternity services available to patients.
Being Supportive: We help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right, and also give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate progress.
This way of working ensures we are progressing towards the national ambition to halve the rates of stillbirths, neonatal and maternal deaths and intrapartum brain injuries by 2025.
The Government has asked all organisations with maternity services to make a commitment to contribute towards achieving the national ambition and improve maternity outcomes. The Luton and Dunstable University Hospital’s Maternity Unit is part of this National Maternity Safety Strategy and has implemented a Maternity Safety Improvement Action Plan to support the national Maternity Safety Ambition.
Through the Maternity section of our website you can find out about the following:
- Maternity videos
- Early Self-Referral to a Community Midwife
- Choosing to have your baby at the L&D
- Choice of place of birth
- Giving birth
- After birth
- Breast feeding and infant formula
- Before the birth
- Meet the team or get involved