Acute Assessment Unit
The Acute Assessment Unit (AAU) is a Unit that receives admissions into the hospital from A+E. We are a 30 bedded Unit, caring for patients with vast and varying acute health needs from all specialities – such as: Medical, Surgical, Gastroenterology, Stroke, Cardiovascular, Gynaecology, Orthopaedics, Mental Health and more!
We have a fast paced environment and take admissions and transfer patients 24/7 365 days a year. Your typical journey through AAU will look something like this example: Admitted to the Unit, Assessments and Care Plans will be done with a member of staff and a doctor will come and review you. Ward Rounds are between 09:00-12:00, with speciality doctors visiting throughout the day if required. One of three outcomes will happen from your stay:
- You can be discharged home; in that case we will aim to send you to the Discharge Lounge to await your medicine and letter, or discharge directly from the Unit.
- You need to stay in for a little while longer, but less than 72 hours, so we will transfer you to Whitbread Ward (Short Stay).
- You need a stay in hospital which will likely be over 72 hours, so we will request the appropriate bed and transfer you to a Long Stay ward.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the AAU Reception.
The Acute Assessment Unit can be found on the ground floor of the ward block and is served by the Main Reception located on Kempston Road.
Please see it on the map below with the reference number 21.Bedford Hospital South Wing Map
- Patients are permitted to have two visitors per visit, per day.
- Visitors who have had contact with a person with COVID-19 or has COVID-19 themselves, will not be allowed on the ward.
- If the patient has tested positive or come into contact with COVID-19, unfortunately you will not be allowed visitors, except in exceptional circumstances. This will need to be discussed with the nurse in charge/ ward manager.
- Children will not be permitted on the ward.
- All visitors must wear PPE as directed by staff.
- Visiting hours are between 14:00 – 18:00.
- No mask = No visit!