Acute Assessment Unit
The acute assessment unit (AAU) is a ward for medical and emergency patients who have been referred by their GP or A&E to undergo further assessment. When a patient arrives on the ward, they will be assessed by a nurse and observations and investigations will be carried out, the patient will then be seen by a doctor who will plan the diagnosis and treatment.
The Acute Assessment Unit can be found on the ground floor of the ward block and is served by the Main Reception located on Kempston Road.
Please see it on the map below with the reference number 21.Bedford Hospital South Wing Map
- Patients are permitted to have two visitors per visit, per day.
- Patients are permitted to have one visit for one hour per day. Multiple visits on the same day is not permitted.
- Visitors who have had contact with a person with COVID-19 or has COVID-19 themselves, will not be allowed on the ward.
- If the patient has tested positive or come into contact with COVID-19, unfortunately you will not be allowed visitors, except in exceptional circumstances. This will need to be discussed with the nurse in charge/ ward manager.
- Children will not be permitted on the ward.
- All visitors must wear PPE as directed by staff.
- Visitors will need to contact AAU reception on 4094 to book a time slot to visit.
- Visiting hours are between 14:00 – 18:00.
- No mask = No visit!