Outpatient Appointments: Video Consultations
With the support of NHS England and NHS Improvement we are now offering video consultations to some of our patients. This forms part of our response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. The decision to offer this type of appointment will be made by a medical professional depending on your individual care needs. Video consultations are as convenient as a phone call, with the added value of face-to-face communication. It can save you time and money, and brings your care closer to home.
If you are due to have a video consultation, we will schedule your appointment as normal and send you the details of the appointment date and time in advance via letter.
What do I need to make a video call?
- A private, well-lit area where you will not be disturbed during the consultation
- An internet connection good enough to watch a video online (e.g. YouTube)
- Web-camera, speakers and microphone already built into laptops or mobile devices or externally attached
- One of these; a desktop PC, laptop, Apple; Mac, Ipad or iPhone, or on an Android tablet or smartphone
- One of the following web browsers suited to your device
- Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge – Windows 7+, Android 5.1+
- Apple Safari – MacOS 10.12+, iOS 11.4+, iPadOS 13+
- There is no need to download an app or create an account, just follow the instructions below
You may like to test your equipment in advance of your appointment
Click the ‘Test call’ button and follow instructions
Instructions for joining your video appointment
We suggest that you get started approximately 5 minutes before your appointment. Details of the relevant hospital and waiting room to select should be included in your appointment letter.
- Select the relevant hospital below, Bedford Hospital (blue button) or Luton and Dunstable University Hospital (green button)
- Enter your video clinic waiting room shown in your appointment letter by selecting it from the drop-down list that appears
- Once you have found your video waiting room, click the ‘Start video call’ button to sign in and follow instructions.
- Ensure you complete all details including your date of birth and a phone number so we can call you back if there are any difficulties. Details will be transferred securely and we will not store them afterwards.
- Once you have signed in, you will wait in your own private video consulting room. Your clinician will then see you arrive in the video waiting room queue and will start the video call with you when they are ready.