Emergency Department Upgrades
Both hospital sites have been given funding to improve Urgent and Emergency Care services, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The scheme at Bedford will provide:
- A secure Paediatric ED area with additional cubicles.
- Additional contingency beds in Victoria Ward.
- A modular extension to significantly increase waiting room capacity, allowing social distancing to take place. This will be split into red and green areas.
- Additional adult cubicles, with flexibility to cohort between red and green pathways.
- An additional isolation room and cubicle segregation.
- Upgraded staff facilities
The scheme at the L&D will provide:
- An expanded and refurbished ED with increased capacity
- A new and fully segregated Paediatric Department
- Additional waiting room capacity
- Mental health assessment rooms
- CT scanner situated within the department