The Luton and Dunstable University Hospital (L&D) will shortly submit a planning application to build a new critical care block and a new acute services block on the hospital site. This application provides a refresh to the scheme that gained local support and planning consent in 2016.
The L&D have been successful in receiving central funding of circa £100 million to redevelop the hospital site. This exciting project will provide state-of-the-art clinical accommodation for the following services:
- Critical care – a combined high dependency and critical care unit
- Maternity – a delivery suite, operating theatres, antenatal and postnatal wards, and bereavement suite
- Neonatology – an intensive care, high dependency, special care and transitional care unit, with parental accommodation
- Theatres – a new suite of operating theatres and minor procedure rooms
And will provide additional car parking on the Lewsey Road car park.
If the planning application is approved, construction work is planned to start in Spring 2020.
We would like to use this opportunity to share our plans with you and encourage you to feedback any queries or concerns you may have.
We would like to invite you to a public meeting:
Monday 25th November
L&D Social Club
Drop in any time from 10am to 6pm to find out more
The meeting will include a formal presentation of the scheme at 6pm
Please come along to find out more about the redevelopment of your local hospital. If you are unable to attend, please email your queries and or comments to [email protected]
Benefits of the scheme include
- Clinical facilities designed with service user input, and designed around patient’s needs
- Clinical accommodation designed with clinical teams to support advances in medicine and technology
- Modern facilities that support high quality, patient centred care
- More efficient healthcare buildings
- An improved hospital site which is easier to navigate and maintain