Energy Centre at the L&D
This exciting Energy Centre project will replace all obsolete and out of date heating plant and equipment, making the L&D one of the most environmentally friendly hospitals in the country.
We will be reducing our carbon emissions by approximately 35% once it is up and running.
Benefits of the new Energy Centre
- Replace existing boiler plant and chimneys with a centralised plant that is more efficient and will be sufficient to serve the whole hospital site.
- Increased resilience across the hospital site because old boilers will be replaced. The scheme will deliver a substitutional reduction in energy consumption.
- Significant reduction in the risk of plant and infrastructure failures.
Progress so far
- Building structure fully complete
- 3 x high voltage generators installed and undergoing final test/commissioning
- 4 x high efficient boilers installed and supplying heat into a new site wide piped low temperature hot water (LTHW) system
- Rolling programme of equipment replacement within satellite plant rooms with LTHW supplied via the Energy Centre boilers.
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP) unit undergoing commissioning/harmonisation activity
The project is due for completion in late 2023.
Please click through the links below to see the progress of the project…