NICU Parents Accommodation
Why do we need accommodation?
As a Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, we should provide overnight accommodation for parents for each intensive care cot we have. Our unit currently has 11 cots so we require 11 rooms.
Owing to the specialist care that our NICU team deliver, a number of families with a baby in the unit live a considerable distance away from the hospital. Approximately 15% of babies in NICU come from outside of Luton and Bedfordshire and an additional 6% come from outside of Beds, Herts and Bucks.
Imagine being separated from your baby by lots of miles, the journey possibly being hours away, and the cost of having to stay in a nearby hotel or bedsit!
Solution to the need
Two properties were gained to support with the needs of the unit. Both properties provide a ‘Home from Home’ feel with an eat in kitchen space, communal bathroom and garden and spacious bedrooms equipped with all you would need for your stay.
The charity provides the ongoing support for these properties, which allows parents to stay for free in a clean and safe environment. The difference the properties makes to families is unmeasurable. To be able just to walk round to see your baby at any time of the night or day is precious and reduces stress and anxiety for parents.
Due to the wonderful fundraising from Mathew Ridout, we have been able to make improvements to the bungalow accommodation. We have:
- Replaced the existing bathroom with a brand new suite
- Replaced the flooring
- Repainted throughout
- Replaced all mattresses.
To support this ongoing need for funding, you can:
- Fundraise for us. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a fundraising pack
- Make a donation via our JustGiving page
- Send a cheque made payable to Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Charity to the Charity Team, L&D Hospital, Lewsey Road, Luton, LU4 0DZ. Please place NICU Accommodation on the back of the cheque
- Make a payment over the phone. Call 01582 718 289 and speak to a member of the team
- Make a BACS payment. Please email email@example.com for bank details.
Money raised will pay for enhancements and will not replace government funding.