Supporting both indoor and outdoor spaces is instrumental in supporting the health and emotional needs of patients, staff and visitors. The courtyard accessed by Maternity will be vital in making that difference.
Green Spaces in a health setting have tremendous health and wellbeing benefits. The scientific, peer-reviewed journal Healthcare published an article highlighting a broad range of physical and psychological benefits:
- Reducing physical and mental ill-health.
- Reducing stress as well as improving wellbeing and cognition.
- Improving psychological function.
- Lowering diastolic blood pressure, heart rate and salivary cortisol.
For patients in the midst of a momentous life event or facing emotional difficulties and for staff needing respite during busy times, an outside space will prove imperative in supporting emotional needs.
The aim of the garden will be to support a space that encompasses elements of greenery and to enhance opportunities for better health and wellbeing. We will support with seating, planting and lighting.
To support this fundraiser you can:
- Fundraise on our behalf. Please email Charmaine for more information
- Make a direct donation via cheque. Please post this to Fundraising, Luton & Dunstable Hospital, Lewsey Road, Luton, LU4 0DZ
- Make a donation over the phone by debit/credit card. Please call 01582 718 289
- Make a donation via our JustGiving page