Critical Care Garden
The Critical Care Team with support from the Charity Team are raising funds to enhance the external features of the ITU and HDU – now known as Critical Care, for their patients, visitors and staff.
Having access to fresh air and outside spaces during a hospital stay can make a huge difference to those who are able to access the space. The balcony garden will also be hugely beneficial to our staff for respite from busy and demanding shifts on the ward.
For patients, the ability to be close to nature and in the fresh air has a positive impact. It helps to:
- Reduce stress and fatigue
- Promote more positive emotions
- Support recovery, nurturing and healing
- Provide a positive distraction for patients and families
- Provide mental health well being
For staff, working in a critical care setting can be taxing on their health. Critical Care Wards are often subject to high levels of stress. Looking towards nature can:
- Positively impact staff performance
- Increase staff wellbeing
- Provide a positive distraction and reduce work related stress
The team have been busy fundraising to reach their goal of £50,000 to support the lighting, seating and planting of the garden. So far they have ran a very successful cake sale and a craft sale within the hospital both stalls raising over £1000.
Sam and Georgia, members of the Critical Care Team, are both taking part in The Great North Swim to raise funds, so lets cheer them on while they concentrate on their training.
Creasey Town Football Club are holding a charity football match at their grounds on 21st May 2023. There will be three football matches throughout the day, Cream Tea available with pre-booking, raffle, a bouncy castle, face painting, beat the goalie and other fun activities. If this is not your thing we are also having a quiz night with tickets selling fast. Contact Charmaine.Norrish@bedsft.nhs.uk for more information.
To support this appeal you can:
- Make a donation via our JustGiving page
- Fundraise for us. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a fundraising pack
- Send a cheque made payable to Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Charity to Charity Team, L&D Hospital, Lewsey Road, Luton, LU4 0DZ. Please place Critical Care Garden on the back of the cheque
- Make a payment over the phone. Call 01582 718 289 and speak to a member of the team
- Make a BACS payment. Please email email@example.com for bank details.