Important information regarding Work Experience placements: June 2021 – COVID-19 update
As employers providing front line health and care, Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS FT has a duty to protect our staff, patients, visitors and their families.
This includes taking reasonable steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
As a result, in line with the decision to suspend Clinical Attachments, we have taken the decision to also suspend all Work Experience placements until March 2022 when this will then be reviewed.
The situation will continue to be monitored in line with Government guidance and information on the current lockdown. Please rest assured that we intend to resume placements for students when it is appropriate for activity to be re-introduced.
We hope that you appreciate that this decision has not been made lightly and we thank you for your understanding.
To reduce pressure on our staff, it would be appreciated if you could refrain from contacting us with work experience enquiries at this time. Please do keep referring to our website for updates.
In this interim period, there are lots of virtual platforms available which offer advice and guidance for anyone looking to pursue a career in healthcare. We hope that you find these helpful:
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School offer an online course which takes you through all the different specialities. This is a really good one to register and join free https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE
- Medic Mentors offers a 6 month virtual opportunities for anyone interested in medicine:https://medicmentor.co.uk/university-hospitals-birmingham-trust-virtual-work-experience/
- Observe GP is a free interactive platform for anyone who is 16 and over and interested in learning about all the roles in Primary care: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/discover-general-practice/observe-gp.aspx
- Medical Mavericks – offer different resources for students and teachers to access (paid services): https://www.medicalmavericks.co.uk/
- Health Careers Live offers engaging virtual sessions on various professions and has offered a session from a panel of medical students / professionals to discuss the application process. They do not have any scheduled at the moment, but do keep an eye on the site for upcoming dates: https://healthcareers.live/
Karen Bush – Community Engagement and Voluntary Services Manager Karen.Bush@ldh.nhs.uk